Planning Commission Information
Meeting Times: We meet on the Thursday prior to the Regular Board meeting at 7 pm at the Chassell Fire Hall. Check the News and Calendar for the specific date.
Vision: Making Chassell Township a great place to Live, Work and Play.
Mission: Developing and executing proactive plans and processes in partnership with the Chassell Board to support responsive and effective recreation, zoning, economic development and infrastructure to meet the current and future needs and interests of Chassell Township residents and visitors.
Chassell Recreation Plan
Road Committee (RC)
The following 5 Year Road Plan has not been approved by the Board. It was presented at the October 2018 Township Board meeting. The RC has worked hard this fall to rate all the paved roads in Chassell Township. The plan still needs to be approved by the Board and submitted to the Houghton County Road Commission.
Some Road Condition Pictures taken by the Road Committee
Revised Houghton County Master Plan – May 15, 2018
Planning Commission Minutes
The Planning Commission is still working on the following ordinance:
Future of America’s Forests and Outdoor Recreation Participation Reports.
- Why Tourism Matters Press Release – 03.30.17
- Why Tourism Matters Poster – 03.30.17
- Outdoor Recreation Participation Report – OF 2016
- Future of America’s Forest – Outdoor Recreation – USFS 2016
Results from the online survey in August 2017
Chassell Township is zoned and requires zoning permits for any new construction or major alteration to an existing building. Please see a link to our zoning permit application below as well as instructions for assisting in completing the application. There is no fee associated with a zoning permit in our township.
Property Owners are responsible for obtaining building permits, soil erosion permits, and right-of-way permits (if applicable) through the Houghton County. Please visit the Houghton County website for more information.
Zoning Administrator-Interm – Tim Palosaari (906-370-2960) or Email
- Zoning Permit 2018 -Fillable with Instructions, email or send permit to: PO Box 438, Chassell, MI 49916. No permit fee is required.
- Sign Permit
- Public Inspection Policy
- Chassell Township Zoning Ordinance as amended April 2005
- Zoning Ordinance Petition 2018
- Amendment to Dangerous Building (adopted August 9, 2017)
- Civil Infraction (adopted August 9, 2017)
- Hours of Public Usage (03/12/2015)
- Lot Splitting (10/08/2014)
- Sewage System (04/25/2006)
- Burning Ordinance (09/14/2005)-Helpful website- https://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,4561,7-135-3310_4106_70665_70668—,00.html
- Water Supply (10/28/2003)
Zoning Ordinance Revisions
The Chassell Planning Commission is in the process of reviewing the current zoning ordinance. Since the document was last updated in the 90’s, The Commission plans to do an in-depth review of the document to bring it more in line with the community’s vision for the future. With this document being rather extensive in length, a small committee is meeting weekly to work through the document. Progress will be posted here on the website as a pdf with track changes displayed so you can see where we’re at so far. None of the proposed changes are set in stone, these are simply recommendations. A public hearing will be held to receive public comment on the document. All are always welcome to attend the monthly Planning Commission meetings to voice any thoughts or concerns.