Chassell Township is zoned and requires zoning permits for any new construction or major alteration to an existing building. Please see a link to our zoning permit application below as well as instructions for assisting in completing the application. There is no fee associated with a zoning permit in our township.
Property Owners are responsible for obtaining building permits, soil erosion permits, and right-of-way permits (if applicable) through the Houghton County. Please visit the Houghton County website for more information.
Zoning Administrator-Interm – Tim Palosaari (906-370-2960) or Email
- Zoning Permit 2018 -Fillable with Instructions, email or send permit to: PO Box 438, Chassell, MI 49916. No permit fee is required.
- Sign Permit
- Public Inspection Policy
- Chassell Township Zoning Ordinance as amended April 2005
- Zoning Ordinance Petition 2018
- Amendment to Dangerous Building (adopted August 9, 2017)
- Civil Infraction (adopted August 9, 2017)
- Hours of Public Usage (03/12/2015)
- Lot Splitting (10/08/2014)
- Sewage System (04/25/2006)
- Burning Ordinance (09/14/2005)-Helpful website- DNR No Burning Video
- Water Supply (10/28/2003)
Zoning Ordinance Revisions
The Chassell Planning Commission is in the process of reviewing the current zoning ordinance. Since the document was last updated in the 90’s, The Commission plans to do an in-depth review of the document to bring it more in line with the community’s vision for the future. With this document being rather extensive in length, a small committee is meeting weekly to work through the document. Progress will be posted here on the website as a pdf with track changes displayed so you can see where we’re at so far. None of the proposed changes are set in stone, these are simply recommendations. A public hearing will be held to receive public comment on the document. All are always welcome to attend the monthly Planning Commission meetings to voice any thoughts or concerns.